Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy new year!

Happy new year to all my fellow birders & bloggers!

I ended up heading out today after AW Birder sent me a tweet alerting me the Brambling were about just down the road. Since I was free (for the first time this week!) I decided to head out. It was a lovely sunny day but eventually clouded over and then cleared again. There were around 200 Woodpigeon roosting in 3 trees in the field, i've noticed large numbers of these around the LDV lately. I arrived at the site Andy had told me about, I walked up and down the lane about 3 times with no luck so I headed into the overgrown boggy field! Eventually I picked up some Chaffinches, then Greenfinch and at last, the bird i'd been searching for, a Brambling! This was a lifer for me, and 3 others joined it. More and more arrived out of the pasture in the field and I counted between 10-15 Bramblings along with Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch in much bigger numbers. I also picked up a single Linnet.

                                                     Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla)



                                                             Robin (Erithacus rubecula)

A walk around the village of North Duffield produced more Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Starling, House Sparrow and arriving home to Long-Tailed Tits, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit and Collared Doves on the feeders. A good start to the year, here's to a prosperous 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment